From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2022 14:20:16
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
3 > Sent: Monday, April 11, 2022 6:28 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: [gentoo-user] Hard drive error from SMART
6 >
7 > Given the low number and it showing it corrected that error, and then passed a short and long test, is this drive "safe enough" to keep in service? I have backups just in case but just curious what others know from experience. At least this isn't one of those nasty messages that the drive will die within 24 hours. I got one of those ages ago and it didn't miss it by much. A little over 30 hours or so later, it was a door stop. It would spin but it couldn't even be seen by the BIOS.
8 > Maybe drives are getting better and SMART is getting better as well.
9 >
10 > Thoughts. Replace as soon as drive arrives or wait and see?
11 >
12 > Dale
13 >
14 > :-) :-)
15 >
16 When it's just one or two errors like that and they don't keep going up I tend to treat it as an isolated incident, but the drive still goes into the pool I use with RAID just in case.
17
18 Preferably a setup where you can lose more than one disk without losing the data.
19
20 Note that, depending on where the bad sector is, when it gets remapped the extra seek necessary to read that logical address could slow the drive down substantially. Make sure your filesystem's root inode or something doesn't end up on top of it.
21
22 Sometimes I miss the old drives where all this was handled by the OS and so you knew exactly what sector was bad and your filesystem could be told to just not use it. Made scanning for bad sectors more annoying, but deciding how bad the drive was rather easier.
23
24 LMP