From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Yahoo and strange traffic.
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 21:33:22
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 17 August 2010 21:15:51 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Mick wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 17 August 2010 15:29, BRM<bm_witness@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> ----- Original Message ----
9 >>>>
10 >>>>
11 >>>>> From: Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com>
12 >>>>>
13 >>>>> Adam Carter wrote:
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>>> Is this easy to do? I have no idea where to start except that
16 >>>>>> wireshark is installed.
17 >>>>>>
18 >>>>>> Yep, start the capture with Capture -> Interfaces and click on the
19 >>>>>> start
20 >>>>>>
21 >>>>> button next to the correct interface, then right click on one of the
22 >>>>> packets that is to the yahoo box and choose Decode As set the port
23 >>>>> and protocol then apply. You'll
24 >>>>>
25 >>>>> need to understand the semantics of HTTP for it to be of much use tho.
26 >>>>> You had me until the last part. No semantics here. lol May see if
27 >>>>> I can post a little and see if anyone can figure out what the heck it
28 >>>>> is doing. I'm thinking some crazy bug or something. Maybe checking
29 >>>>> for updates not realizing it's
30 >>>>>
31 >>>>> Kopete instead of a Yahoo program.
32 >>>>>
33 >>>> Wireshark will show you the raw packet data, and decode only a little of
34 >>>> it - enough to identify the general protocol, senders, etc.
35 >>>> So to understand the packet, you will need to understand the application
36 >>>> layer protocol - in this case HTTP - yourself as Wireshark won't help
37 >>>> you there.
38 >>>>
39 >>>> But yet, Wireshark, nmap, and nessus security scanner are the tools,
40 >>>> less so nessus as it really is more of a port scanner/security hole
41 >>>> finder than a debug tool for applications (it's basically an interface
42 >>>> for nmap for those purposes).
43 >>>>
44 >>> I'm not at home to experiment and I don't use yahoo, but port 5050 is
45 >>> typically used for mmcc = multi media conference control - does yahoo
46 >>> offer such a service? It could be a SIP server running there for VoIP
47 >>> between Yahoo registered users or something similar.
48 >>>
49 >>> The http connection could be offered as an alternative proxy
50 >>> connection to the yahoo IM servers for users who are behind
51 >>> restrictive firewalls. Have you asked as much in the Yahoo user
52 >>> groups?
53 >>>
54 >>> The fact that the threads continue after kopete has shut down is not
55 >>> necessarily of concern as was already explained, unless it carries on
56 >>> and on for a long time and the flow of packets continues. I don't
57 >>> know how yahoo VoIP works. Did you install some plugin specific for
58 >>> yahoo services? If it imitates the Skype architecture then it
59 >>> essentially runs proxies on clients' machines and this could be an
60 >>> explanation for the traffic.
61 >>>
62 >> I don't have VoIP, Skype or that sort of thing here. Here is my Kopete
63 >> info tho:
64 >>
65 >> [ebuild R ] kde-base/kopete-4.4.5-r1 USE="addbookmarks autoreplace
66 >> contactnotes groupwise handbook highlight history nowlistening pipes
67 >> privacy ssl statistics texteffect translator urlpicpreview yahoo
68 >> zeroconf (-aqua) -debug -gadu -jabber -jingle (-kdeenablefinal)
69 >> (-kdeprefix) -latex -meanwhile -msn -oscar -otr -qq -skype -sms -testbed
70 >> -v4l2 -webpresence -winpopup" 0 kB
71 >>
72 >> Anything there that cold cause a problem?
73 >>
74 > No, I can't see anything suspicious, you don't even have skype or v4l2
75 > enabled, so it is unlikely that it is running some webcam stream (as part of
76 > VoIP).
80 lol I don't have a webcam even if it was turned on. Sort of funny
81 about having a camera in my bedroom. o_O
82
83 I'm thinking it is Yahoo wanting to upgrade something but not realizing
84 that I'm not using their client but using kopete. Yahoo isn't the
85 sharpest tool in the shed you know?
86
87 Dale
88