From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wayland assorted problems
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 19:59:59
1 On 17/11/2021 23:54, Jack wrote:
2 > On 2021.11.14 17:51, Wol wrote:
3 >> I'm still trying to get Wayland to work reliably. At the moment I log
4 >> in at a TTY, then fire it up with "startplasma-wayland" ... except it
5 >> doesn't start properly!
6 > Seems to work fine for me (with minimal testing.)
7 >>
8 >> I'm GUESSING part of the problem is my video card isn't set up
9 >> properly. But I thought I'd followed the gentoo guide, and compiled
10 >> the Radeon and R600 drivers into my kernel. I prefer to compile stuff
11 >> in the kernel and not as modules, and I told it to load the drivers
12 >> into the kernel, but am worried I might have missed something. I've
13 >> changed it for the next kernel so it'll be a module loading what it
14 >> wants from the firmware directory, so hopefully that'll be better but
15 >> I'm not sure.
16 >>
17 >> I did an lspci -k and got this for the video card ...
18 >>
19 >> 09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
20 >> [AMD/ATI] RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
21 >>     Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RV710 [Radeon HD 4350/4550]
22 >>     Kernel driver in use: radeon
23 >>     Kernel modules: radeon
24 > 1c:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
25 > [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde XT [Radeon HD 7770/8760 / R7 250X]
26 >         Subsystem: XFX Pine Group Inc. Cape Verde XT [Radeon HD
27 > 7770/8760 / R7 250X]
28 >         Kernel driver in use: radeon
29 >         Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu
30 >>
31 >> I notice it says "VGA compatible", and not what the wiki page leads me
32 >> to expect - something like "Video driver" - which makes me think the
33 >> card isn't set up properly.
34 >>
35 >> The symptoms basically are that wayland always hangs the first attempt
36 >> to start it. Once killed from another tty it MAY (or may not) start
37 >> successfully.
38 >>
39 >>
40 >> I mentioned Thunderbird - that keeps on losing contact with the
41 >> compositor or something which is why it keeps crashing ...
42 > No crash, although I didn't run it very long.
43 >>
44 >>
45 >> And I run a multi-user system. I tried to fire up wayland as a second
46 >> user, and got the error
47 >>
48 >> kwin_xwl: /tmp/.X11-unix is not owned by root or us
49 >>
50 >> Of course it isn't - it's not a user specific link so of course it's
51 >> going to clash with another user!
52 > When you run multiple copies of xorg, each one runs in a different
53 > console.  I wouldn't be surprised if wayland simply isn't set up to do
54 > that.
55 >>
56 >> I attach the wayland log I got in case it gives anybody any other
57 >> clues as to what's going on.
58 > The attached log includes the above kwin error.  Can you post one where
59 > there isn't another wayland session running?  I'd also confirm that
60 > directory does go away when no X or wayland is running.  You might need
61 > to manually delete it.
62 >
63 Okay, I rebooted the system, and tried to start Wayland. The first log
64 is the output of my first attempt. This hung and I had to kill it.
65 Actually, it was worse than that, <ctrl><alt><f2> caused the video
66 driver or somesuch to crash - I ended up with a scrambled display, and
67 had to ssh in and reboot ...
68
69 I then googled, and because it said DISPLAY is not set, I tried setting
70 it to both DISPLAY=localhost:0 and DISPLAY=0:0. This gave two identical
71 logs, the second one, which didn't hang - it just failed to start and
72 terminated.
73
74 I'm trying to install and run the latest kernel - the current kernel has
75 compiled the driver and firmware into the kernel, I've told the new
76 kernel to build it as a module and not load the firmware into the
77 kernel, but you've seen my post about genkernel ... where simply trying
78 to tell genkernel to put the final initramfs somewhere other than the
79 default causes fatal errors in the build ...
80
81 Cheers,
82 Wol

wayland.211120-2.log text/plain