From: Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Error message on kde startup
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 12:31:40
1 On Tuesday, 24 January 2006 10:02, Paul wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > Recently I had to update about 24 packages, all went well and any config
4 > files were updated. However, I now have a problem when kde starts, I get
5 > an error-kdesktop message saying "The KDE Mediamanager is not running" In
6 > the control Centre - Service Manager under startup Services the KDED Media
7 > Manager has a status of Not Running. If I try to start it manually I just
8 > get a message saying Unable to start service.
9 >
10 > I just don't know what to try next ----- any suggestions?
11 >
12 > Thanks
13 > Paul
14
15 Not sure if this will help, but I got the same problem after emerging world on
16 my 32bit Gentoo. I did not try downgrading HAL and re-emerging kdebase did
17 not help.
18 After further reading I got to understand that KDE Mediamanager mostly (only?)
19 is in charge of automagicaly mounting media - a feature I've been fighting
20 ever since it appeared, partly because I'm old-fashioned (I prefer the "I
21 mount it because I want it approach) and partly because some programs I use
22 did not react well to it (including untidy unmounts on external medias).
23
24 All this to say I solved the problem very easily: Control Center -> KDE
25 components -> Service Manager -> unselect Media Manager.
26
27 This prevents the error message, but of course, if you WANT the media manager,
28 this is not the solution :)
31 The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
32 capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
33 safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
34 Frank Zappa
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list