From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't boot into X
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:23:56
1 On Thursday 17 June 2010 17:54:35 Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > Colleen Beamer writes:
3 > > First, I looked in the archives and didn't find anything relevant -
4 > > could be my stupidity, but I did try!
5 >
6 > Fine :)
7 >
8 > > From my kdm log the last few lines are as follows:
9 > >
10 > > (EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
11 > > (EE) Failed to load module "dri2" (module does not exist, 0)
12 >
13 > I have this too, when using ati-drivers. I think the nvidia-drivers also
14 > have their own dri, so this is okay.
15 >
16 > > /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet: error while loading shared libraries:
17 > > libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
18 > > directory
19 >
20 > [...]
21 >
22 > > Regarding libpng - on my first upgrade 6 days ago, I removed libpng
23 > > prior to doing the update because the updated libpng file was being
24 > > blocked by the existing one. I don't know if this makes a difference.
25 >
26 > This is the problem. /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet links to
27 > libpng12.so.0, which you removed. It needs to be rebuilt so it links
28 > against libpng14.so.0. A simple emerge -1 kde-base/kdm should solve this.
29 > Use ldd /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kdm_greet to verify this, there should be no
30 > 'not found' entries.
31 >
32 > Better use revdep-rebuild, there might be many other things that are still
33 > linked to the old libpng.
34 >
35 > You could also try to emerge media-libs/libpng:1.2, this will install the
36 > old libpng in parallel. At least I do have both on my system, but my kdm
37 > inks to 1.4. If the revdep-rebuild list is very long, maybe you can get a
38 > working system faster this way.
41 media-libs/libpng-1.4.2 is still ~amd64 and ~x86, so there shouldn't be a need
42 to emerge it at this stage. Alex's suggestion to emerge -1aDv kde-base/kdm
43 will most likely fix your problem and you can run revdep-rebuild afterwards
44 for good measure.
45 --
46 Regards,
47 Mick