From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heartbleed fix - question re: replacing self-signed certs with real ones
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:57:50
1 On 4/16/2014 7:14 AM, Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi> wrote:
2 > On Apr 16, 2014, at 13:52, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> Or will simply replacing my self-signed certs with the new real ones be good enough?
4
5 > No it will not. Keys are te ones that have been compromised. You need
6 > to create new keys. With those keys you need to create certificate
7 > request. Then you send that request to certificate authority for
8 > signing and publishing in their crl. When you receive the signed
9 > certificate you can start using it with your key. Never send your key
10 > to CA or expect to get a key from them.
11
12 Ok, thanks...
13
14 But... if I do this (create a new key-pair and CR), will this
15 immediately invalidate my old ones (ie, will my current production
16 server stop working until I get the new certs installed)?
17
18 I'm guessing not (or else there would be a lot of downtime for lots of
19 sites involved) - but I've only ever done this once (created the
20 key-pair, CR and self-signed keys) a long time ago, so want to make sure
21 I don't shoot myself in the foot...
22
23 I have created new self-=signed certs a couple of times since creating
24 the original key-pair+CR, but never created a new key-pair/CR...
25
26 > There are also other algorithms the RSA. And also if you wan't to get
27 > PFS you will need to consider your setup, certificate and security
28 > model.
29
30 What is PFS?