From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] browser advice
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 08:55:50
1 On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
4 > Well, if it's not firefox's fault, switching to a new browser may not help.
5 >
6 It does help, I tried before posting. I already had Opera and Konqueror
7 installed. (It's just that I thought it would be better to hear about
8 your experiences before starting doing heavy customizations.)
9 >> So, the point is: what browser now?
10 >
11 > I use Konqueror near exclusively; Bon Echo (non-Mozilla-branded Firefox
12 > 2.x) is reserved for site whose javascript is not supported in Konqueror.
13 > It (Konqueror) even has the ability to use 32-bit plugins in a 64-bit
14 > browser. If you use other kde application you'll enjoy the
15 > loosely-coupled but tight integration, like adding RSS feeds to aKregator
16 > from Konqueror.
17 >
18 > I was an avid Opera user before I switched to Linux. It's an integrated
19 May I ask what led you to change to Konqueror, given that Opera also was
20 available in Linux?
21 > browser along the lines of Mozilla or Seamonkey, containing (at least) a
22 > mail and new client in addition to the browser. IME, it was able to
23 > handle anything sort of ActiveX (that is, everything Firefox can), but
24 > occasionally you'd have to change your browser identification string to
25 > something more IE-like or FF-like to convince the webserver to give you
26 > the correct page. (Google for: opera oprah microsoft) I was a fan of
27 > their support newsgroup, it taught me a lot of little tips and tricks (ala
28 > Firefox's about:config stuff) that ended up making my browser experience
29 > uniquely mine.
32 Regards,
33
34 Jorge