From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No sound after resuming from hibernation
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 11:44:25
1 On Monday, 4 January 2021 10:33:47 GMT Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
2
3 > Oh well, is there a replacement for ALSA? Can I use "pulseaudio" with-
4 > out ALSA?
5 >
6 > Sincerely,
7 > Rainer
8
9 Without the alsa kernel driver available, the pulseaudio mixing controls won't
10 be able to talk to the hardware.
11
12 Does 'alsactl init' report something different after a cold reboot when sound
13 works as expected, as opposed to after hibernation?
14
15 Does your audio driver have a power saving function? modinfo will show this
16 and you can enable/disable it, via /etc/modprobe.d/ - see here for more info:
17
18 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Power_management/Soundcard
19
20 Do you have alsasound service configured to run at boot? If so, does sound
21 return if you restart the service after hibernation?
22
23 Another thought: could it be the default audio device changes after restoring
24 from hibernation? What I mean is, if your audio device has PCM and HDMI
25 outputs, it may be the order is reversed for some unknown reason. If so, you
26 should still have sound on one of the outputs. In this case, you could
27 hardcode the order of the audio devices in /etc/asound.conf so the desired
28 audio card output is always the default.
29
30 If none of the above provide a solution, then it must be some MoBo/driver bug,
31 which will need more involved debugging with the latest testing kernel
32 version.