From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Ati or Nvida
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 18:12:31
1 Platoali <platoali <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Although all tests have been run on windows. It seems that Ati have
5 > better hardware and it is also going to be more open source friendly
6 > in near future. I'm planning to use this workstation for 3 or 4 years
7 > or even more. So I'm thinking to risk a little and bet on AMD , and
8 > hope that they deserve my hard earned money. but I'm not sure yet. I
9 > need to do a little more search about AMD plans, and current
10 > development status of ATI driver.
11
12 One thing I'd like to point out, from what I've read. Many people think that
13 AMD/ATI can just release sources. Most of the time, due to the fact that other
14 companies license software and resell their(ati) hardware designs, so AMD/ATI
15 is legally bound not to release those sources directly. So that is why they
16 publish documentation (whenever possible) about the specifics of the
17 graphics hardware.
18
19 I for one, as a firmware engineer, believe that AMD/ATI have turned a
20 "significant corner" in their attitude and subsequent plans to position
21 their company to be very attractive to the open source community. I also
22 believe that it make take some more months to see the fruit of these efforts
23 and some years for this fruit to become widespread. (Things always take
24 a while with technology and lawyers). But, these are my opinions, not, in
25 any way actually connect to AMD/ATI.
28 (over simplified VLSI perspective):
29 There is something larger at work here, imho. That is that the GPU
30 /cellprocessor /microprocessor are merging onto the same substrate,
31 for a variety of reasons. The GPU/Cell is a wonderfully powerful processor
32 for searching and sorting and parallel algorithms of all sorts. As such
33 many technical efforts are underway to utilize the GPU/Cell processor
34 as a companion to the CPU. At some point, all of the proprietary-ness
35 of GPU/Cell processor will become obsolete, and Intel is at a particular
36 "sweet spot" since they are the commander of the smallest (fastest) physics
37 at this point in time.
38
39 In a few years the entire territorial madness that surrounds
40 GPU/Cell processors may just be a bad memory. Hard to predict,
41 but, my money is on AMD/ATI.
42
43 http://lwn.net/Articles/260676/
44