From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dash as /bin/sh?
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 11:11:13
1 On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:45:44 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2
3 > The Ubuntu folks report on https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh, that
4 > bootup and also ./configure runs are *WAY* faster if "dash" is used
5 > as /bin/sh instead of bash.
6
7 I've just tried it on my 1GHz iBook and boot time dropped from 74s to
8 60s. That's timed from selecting a bootloader option to the root prompt
9 appearing, less the time taken to type in my luks/dm-crypt passphrase.
10
11 Most of the saving came in the early part of the boot process, the part
12 before the password prompt (which comes from bootmisc AFAIK). It looked
13 like the udev stuff happened quicker, but I can't quantify that.
14
15 Anyway, a 20% reduction in boot time is nice, wherever it happens. Thanks
16 for the pointer.
17
18 > Did anyone try this out on Gentoo? Are the boot scripts from Gentoo
19 > strictly POSIX compliant?
20
21 I saw no errors, so they are certainly WFM compliant :)
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 I'm Bugs Bunny of Borg. What's up Collective?