From: Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] is anyone using Nouveau graphics driver ?
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 11:20:20
1 For what it's worth, my experience with Nouveau has been dismal.
2
3 I use KDE plasma, which runs everything via accelerated graphics and I
4 would encounter system-wide lockups within 2 hours, often much closer to
5 within 10 minutes.
6 Nouveau has better terminal support though, supporting the higher
7 resolutions that the proprietary driver can't be bothered to support. So if
8 you have a vt-only use-case, it's a win. But otherwise, I'm very wary.
9 Granted, the last time I tried was about a year ago, but the troubles I had
10 been experiencing were common with other users for long before that.
11
12 You could give it a try and see.
13
14 As for usage, iirc, if it's enabled in your kernel config, it's loaded by
15 default, even if the proprietary drivers are installed. I blacklisted the
16 Nouveau module to get the proprietary one loaded (so that I could switch
17 back after a kernel update to see if it worked properly then). Again,
18 things may have changed from when I last tried, but I think you should be
19 able to enable, build and reboot to have it loaded already (obviously, you
20 could rmmod and modprobe if the idea of a reboot doesn't sit well)
21
22 -d