From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] fsck date problem during boot
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 15:46:23
1 I've been fiddling with a new kernel, and have had several occasions
2 to reboot lately.
3
4 If I mounted /boot to cp the new kernel etc over, I have a problem on
5 reboot for sure.
6
7 Somehow the date of last fsck on /boot is seen as `in the future' so
8 fsck fails on /dev/had1 (/boot).
9
10 Which means nearly all other boot time services also fail. So I end
11 up logging into a system with no services running and only `/' mounted.
12
13 At that point, I run fsck /dev/hda1 which finds a date error, fixes it
14 and then reboot... this time everything works, and if I don't mount
15 /boot a reboot just works... but if I end up having to fiddle further
16 with kernel, mount /boot to copy over etc. On reboot the same problem
17 occurs.
18
19 I tried to get ahead of the game by umounting /boot after cp over
20 kernel and running fsck on it before reboot. fsck doesn't find a
21 problem. But at reboot... the same problem occurs.
22
23 What it means is every reboot requires 2 reboots (if I mounted /boot)
24
25 I'm guessing its some kind of timing problem with events during boot.
26 But not sure what to do about it.
27
28 The clock can't be getting that far off in a few seconds, and is reset
29 when ntp-client runs. So I don't understand the error saying `in the
30 future'.