From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [SOLVED]Re: [gentoo-user] Bluetooth speakers
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 10:02:41
1 On Wednesday, 18 May 2022 09:51:57 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday, 14 May 2022 17:34:58 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Thursday, 5 May 2022 16:22:56 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > > > Is there a knack to getting my plasma desktop to operate happily with my
5 > > > new Bluetooth speakers? I can get a connection using the Bluetooth
6 > > > control panel, and the sound device appears in the Audio control panel,
7 > > > but testing either speaker produces no sound.
8 > >
9 > > I think I've solved the problem. No, not BT but with a wired connection I
10 > > do now have sound. BT can wait until I need it.
11 >
12 > Wrong again. In fact, the problem was that pulseaudio was not running. A
13 > simple 'pulseaudio start' - et voila! Sound.
14 >
15 > I found this along the way:
16 >
17 > # pulseaudio --dump-conf
18 > ### Read from configuration file: /etc/pulse/daemon.conf ###
19 > daemonize = no
20 > [...]
21 >
22 > Why is it set to No by default? Isn't PA deaf without the daemon running?
23
24 Pulseaudio is currently set to "daemonize = no" by default and it should also
25 be set "autospawn = no", in order for Plasma to use pipewire instead of
26 pulseaudio. Pipewire is the new audio solution, which is meant to satisfy
27 use cases previously addressed with pulseaudio and/or jack, although it should
28 co-exist and work with both regardless.
29
30 As I understand it originally udev would probe, auto-detect and hotplug
31 devices, calling pulseaudio to process audio. I am not up to speed how
32 pipewire now interacts with pulseaudio in depth, but I can see on a Plasma
33 system which has pulseaudio installed, pipewire is launched and uses pipewire-
34 pulse.conf:
35
36 \_ /usr/bin/wireplumber
37 \_ /usr/bin/pipewire
38 \_ /usr/bin/pipewire -c pipewire-pulse.conf
39
40 I have audio working, but no pulseaudio process shows up.