From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Getting stuff off a Mac machine
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2015 19:37:35
1 On Saturday, September 05, 2015 12:57:02 AM Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > A friend has a, I thin a few years old - Yosemite, Mac that I need to
4 > get some large files off. I though Mac's could read NTFS, the files are
5 > bigger than 4GB hence NTFS over FAT32, hence formatted a spare USB drive
6 > as NTFS and then plugged it into the machine. No go on the copy. I tried
7 > a few things then it dawned on me that the Mac probably couldn't write
8 > to the disk - bummer....
9
10 Just mount the NTFS filesystem as rw.
11
12 > A google search for things led me to the following procedure and was
13 > wondering if anyone had already done this and could advise.
14 >
15 > 1) Format USB via the Mac using HFS+
16 >
17 > 2) copy files to disk
18 >
19 > 3) Enable HFS+ in the kernel of my machine and rebuild
20 >
21 > 4) Boot my machine with the new kernel
22 >
23 > 5) Plug USB into my machine and mount
24 >
25 > 6) Copy files off to my machine
26 >
27 > 7) Format the USB back to something the rest of the world can use ;)
28 >
29 > Is that it? I can't do anything with the mac machine, NTFS-3g etc, so I
30 > have to fit into the Mac world as much as possible. Have I missed
31 > anything? Any tips or tricks or is there no need as it's that simple?
32 >
33 > Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
34 >
35 > Andrew