From: dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Updating a Standalone
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2011 10:37:56
1 On 08/12/2011 06:25 AM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 17:16, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >> On 08/12/2011 12:58 PM, dhk wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> I have a Gentoo Box that is a standalone with no internet access. Is
6 >>> there a way I can update it by using my laptop?
7 >>>
8 >>> It would be nice to be able to sync a copy of my world list on my laptop
9 >>> without clobbering my laptop's world list. Then do a fetch for the
10 >>> standalone world and when on the console pf the standalone do the update
11 >>> to the fetched packages on the laptop. The idea is not to have the
12 >>> laptop as an image of the standalone, but as a server to sync to while
13 >>> keeping the laptop's world separate.
14 >>
15 >> Er, can't you just give the box Internet access by using the laptop's
16 >> connection?
19 > Agree with Nikos.
20 >
21 > Another (ultra-roundabout) way:
22 >
23 > * Get portage-latest.tar.xz
24 > * Untar to your standalone system
25 > * emerge -puf @world
26 > * Get the files on an Internet-connected system
27 > * Put the files on the standalone's portage DISTDIR
28 > * emerge -au @world
29 >
30 > DISCLAIMER: Not tested :-)
31 >
32 > Rgds,
33
34 There's no Internet access where the standalone is, it's remote, when I
35 go with the laptop the laptop doesn't have Internet access either.
36
37 I didn't really want to tar or burn stuff to disk. I think I'd like to
38 just be able --sync the laptop for itself and then have the ability to
39 do another sync for the standalone. Of coarse the second sync for the
40 standalone wouldn't install anything. Then when I travel to the
41 standalone I'd like to do any "emerge -uDNp world" to the laptop which
42 would most likely be the setting in the make.conf on the standalone. Thanks