From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rasp-Pi-4 Gentoo servers
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2020 14:11:35
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Sunday, 1 March 2020 10:46:17 GMT Dale wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Could you share some links to some of these things? As I mentioned
5 >> earlier, I'm thinking about building a NAS system. Later, I may build a
6 >> mythTV system. Then I can access the NAS from it or my desktop, or cell
7 >> phone now that I am somewhat more updated, past the Motorola Razr stage.
8 >>
9 >> Thanks much.
10 >>
11 >> Dale
12 >>
13 >> :-) :-)
14 > Android has its optimal use cases for sure, but I have found embedded x86 APUs
15 > to be more capable for network and server tasks. As an example:
16 >
17 > https://pcengines.ch/
20 Interesting.  I was thinking at first about just buying a really small
21 computer MB, like a micro ATX or something, but reading this thread made
22 think more about something like this.  For one, it pulls a very small
23 amount of power.  The 'computer' and hard drives would likely pull well
24 under 50 watts.  Also generate very little heat, more like warmth.  ;-)
25
26 Basically, I'm looking for something that I can build a NAS with.  I'd
27 need a way to hook 4, 6 maybe 8 hard drives and maybe a couple ethernet
28 ports.  It seems to be easy to find them with ethernet ports.  It's the
29 SATA ports that are harder to find.  I found one for the Raspberry thing
30 that had four ports.  So far, it is the only one I found.  I'm not sure
31 if it can expand past that either.  It seems the cards are stackable
32 based on some pics but I'm not sure on that.
33
34 This is interesting info tho.  The link you shared lead me to a tiny
35 board, maybe a little more powerful than the Raspberry but still low
36 powered.  Still, the SATA ports is a bit difficult to find.  Maybe I'm
37 looking for the wrong thing???
38
39 Either way, I left a map light, tiny light that's up there with the dome
40 light, on a few weeks ago in my car.  I pulled out my hydrometer battery
41 tester.  It's almost always accurate.  I got a few week cells in my
42 car's battery.  After someone else posted about those AGM batteries, I'm
43 thinking of going down that route even for my car.  They ain't cheap by
44 no stretch.  That said, those Raspberry things are almost disposable if
45 you get a Chinese model.  lol
46
47 Dale
48