From: dsonck <daniel@×××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NFS and user IDs
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 08:46:27
1 On 2018-06-09 09:41, Andrew Udvare wrote:
2 >> On 2018-06-09, at 00:42, Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Is there _any_ way around the need to keep the user IDs matched on NFS
5 >> clients and servers?
6 >
7 > I checked and there is no way. It is recommended UID/GID be synced
8 > regularly on all client machines.
9 >
10 > NFSv4 requires user names and group names be synced. IDs do not have
11 > to match, which makes syncing easier.
12 >
13 > You should be controlling IDs/names from a central location and
14 > syncing as part of a deployment system, and not allowing client
15 > machine users to make modifications to those files.
16 >
17 > Andrew
18
19 In fact, you can use the nfsidmap service to supply a mapping. I do not
20 know the specifics of this but here's the manpage for it
21
22 http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man5/nfsidmap.5.html
23
24 Greetings,