From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Locate and Fix .text Relocations (TEXTRELs)
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:59:59
1 On 7/14/06, Arnau Bria <arnau@×××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mtune=i686"
3 > CXXFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=i686 -pipe"
4
5 Hrm, these are really not sane. -march is telling gcc to build C code
6 that will only run on a p4, and then you have -mtune specifying to run
7 on everything back to a pentium-II. I *think* -march takes precedence
8 here....
9
10 But for C++ code, you are specifying that should run on any P-II. So
11 C and C++ code is being compiled in very different ways on your
12 system. This is bad. I have no idea whether these are causing your
13 problems with akregator or not however...
14
15 BTW, the TEXTREL messages are directly attributable to your CXXFLAGS.
16 I built akregator with the same flags, and get the same messages.
17
18 So what I recommend you set in /etc/make.conf is:
19
20 CFLAGS="-march=pentium4 -O2 -pipe"
21 CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
22
23 Then re-merge akregator. If you still have trouble, try renaming
24 ~/.kde3.5 to ~/.kde3.5.old and start it. If that works then some
25 akregator configuration in .kde3.5.old is responsible.
26
27 Finally, may want to recompile your entire system with the fixed
28 compiler flags. This can usually be done with an "emerge -e world",
29 but this will take a long time! You can also grep the CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS
30 files in the /var/db/pkg/ database to see what packages you merged
31 with particular flags. For example: "grep -r --include=CXXFLAGS --
32 -mcpu=i686 /var/db/pkg/".
33
34 -Richard
35 --