From: Alejandro <elcorreodeale@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network access to mysql
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 16:28:38
1 2009/1/28 AllenJB <gentoo-lists@××××××××××.uk>
2
3 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >
5 >> Afternoon all,
6 >>
7 >> I have mysql running on my workstation and on my local server, and I want
8 >> to connect as an ordinary user from the workstation to the server; I can't.
9 >> This is what happens:
10 >>
11 >> $ mysql -p -h serv.ethnet
12 >> Enter password:
13 >> ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on 'serv.ethnet' (111)
14 >>
15 >> The same thing happens if I try as root.
16 >>
17 >> I can connect locally as myself or as root on either machine and
18 >> manipulate tables in various ways. I haven't yet installed a firewall on
19 >> either machine.
20 >>
21 >> I've set DEBUG=4 in /etc/conf.d/mysql on both machines, but nothing shows
22 >> up in /var/log/mysql/*; only some startup debug messages. I've run tcpdump
23 >> on the server, which shows that one packet passes in each direction,
24 >> followed immediately by a reverse lookup of the workstation being sent to
25 >> the name server. I don't know why nothing happens after the name-service
26 >> request is answered, but it seems to imply that the workstation is refusing
27 >> the request itself rather than forwarding it to the server.
28 >>
29 >> I can't see anything in /etc/conf.d/mysql or in /etc/mysql/* on either
30 >> machine to restrict network access, so what have I missed?
33 > Check the bind-address setting in /etc/my.cnf - if this is 127.0.0.1 then
34 > no other machines will be able to connect to the mysql server. To listen on
35 > all available interfaces, this setting should be "0.0.0.0" or unset.
36 >
37 > Also check that skip-networking is not enabled.
38 >
39 > Too late for me.