From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Still can't play audio CD's
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 00:52:15
1 Hi guys,
2
3 I know I'm like a bear with a thorn in it's paw, but this is driving me
4 nuts. I've tried the suggestions provided in response to my posts on
5 this list, but I still can't play audio CD's. I posted to the alsa-user
6 list and got a response. I'm posting some of that here because although
7 the responder has the exact same computer as I do, he uses Suse and I'm
8 wondering if I've missed something or done something wrong when I
9 compiled genkernel and thought maybe someone on the list might have an
10 idea as to why there are discprepancies between what I'm getting and
11 what the guy who responded to my alsa-user post got.
14 <snip>
15
16 This is my output
17
18 > Output from ' aplay -l' is:
19 >
20 > **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
21 > card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
22 > Subdevices: 0/1
23 > Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
24 > (don't know if this is relevant)
25
26 This is his output:
27
28 Interesting. I do get:
29 **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
30 card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
31 Subdevices: 1/1
32 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
33 card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: STAC92xx Digital [STAC92xx Digital]
34 Subdevices: 1/1
35 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
36
37 <snip>
38
39 This is from my laptop:
40
41 > On the *laptop* (XPS M1710), Kmix shows only the following items for
42 > output:
43
44 > Master
45 > PCM
46 > Capture Mux
47 >
48 > On the laptop, Kmix shows only Mic as Input
51 This is his output from his Dell XPS M1710 laptop:
52
53 I usually use alsamixer from the console, but invoking Kmix it shows:
54 Output:
55 Master, PCM, Capture Mux, Digital
56 Input:
57 Capture, Capture Mux, Digital
58 Switch
59 IEC958 and a dropdrow listbox 'Input Source' with Mic, Front Mic, Line
60
61 I've tried editing /etc/modules.d/alsa the way it has been suggested in
62 response to my posts here, but I still can get audio CD's to play.
63 Obviously, the drive works or I wouldn't have been able to get Gentoo
64 installed and an audio track ripped just fine from a CD and plays
65 normally when I play it from my hard drive.
66
67 Someone here also pointed me toward an alsa bug list and said to pay
68 particular attention to comments by someone who goes by 'pshou', but I
69 don't really understand what he was saying.
70
71 If anyone can provide me with direction, I would sure appreciate it.
72
73 Regards,
74
75 Colleen