From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and initramfs
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:33:12
1 On 22/08/2013 13:47, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
2 >
3 > On Aug 22, 2013 1:28 PM, "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org
4 > <mailto:joost@××××××××.org>> wrote:
5 >> Correct, and here lies the cause for the "out of sync" scenario.
6 >>
7 >> > So the only "out of sync" scenario that should matter is with the
8 >> > kernel or kernel modules. Even if it were out of sync with your
9 >> > current toolset it should still be able
10 >> > to perform the pivot. Shouldn't any "userland stuff" that
11 >> > breaks initramfs BE in initramfs?
12 >>
13 >> Incorrect, there are userland tools, like LVM and MDADM (layout 1.2 does
14 >> NOT support auto-assembly by kernel), that are needed to access of the
15 >> filesystems.
16 >>
17 >> It is possible that an older version of one of these tools, after an
18 >> update, can no longer access the disks succesfully. When portage updates
19 >> this package, the initramfs is not automatically updated with the new
20 >> version.
21 >
22 > Ok. I don't use raid / lvm on my desktop so I missed the obvious case of
23 > a user tool that needs to be in initramfs.
24 >
25 > But it makes sense. Any tool that affects filesystem mounting at the
26 > very least of /usr, even if its cifs or nfs or whatev, should be
27 > included in initramfs. This is gentoo, not ubuntu. Blind updates are
28 > known to be irresponsible behavior. Is this a big deal?
32 No it's not a big deal.
33
34 If you omit support in the kernel for your mb chipset, the machine does
35 not boot.
36 If you forget to recompile nvidia drivers when updating the kernel, the
37 screen does not work.
38 If you delete the modules for ext* from /lib/modules, the kernel cannot
39 read the file system.
40
41 All these things need to be fixed manually, need to be remembered
42 manually, are not detectable in any sane fashion and Gentoo users are
43 expected to know what to do and how to fix it. All this talk of user
44 tools in initramfs that might not work one time in three years is
45 exactly the same IMNSHO.
46
47 The conventional notification method is via an elog message from ebuilds
48 that the maintainer knows will change metadata formats
53 Alan McKinnon
54 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com