From: Willie Wong <wwong@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] aterm into kterm?
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 22:24:14
1 On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:39:44PM +0200, Penguin Lover Nils Larsson squawked:
2 > > Now, at work, the machines run some custom version of linux and I am
3 > > not sure what the terminals are. And I also often use the VT and not
4 > > use X on my laptop, so I am disinclined to set TERM in .bashrc.
7 > Well, bash is bash, it doesn't matter if you work machines use X or
8 > whatnot. Add:
9 > export TERM=xterm
10 > to ~/.bash_profile on your work machine account.
11
12 I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I think I didn't explain myself
13 clear.
14
15 There are three machines involved.
16
17 Server A
18 Desktop B
19 Laptop C
20
21 I ssh into Server A from Desktop B and Laptop C.
22 Desktop B is at work. I am not sure what terminal it uses. But it has
23 no problems with the terminal.
24 Laptop C is my personal machine, on which I run aterm usually. But
25 when I ssh into Server A, echo $TERM shows kterm. (I just tried rxvt
26 and xterm also on this machine, and $TERM is correctly listed for
27 both.)
28
29 Setting anything on Desktop B is unlikely to help.
30 I don't want to set anything on Server A because I worry that it might
31 break whatever is working currently from Desktop B.
32 I don't think I should set anything on Laptop C in .bash* because I
33 also use other terms occasionally and the VT.
34
35 If my worries are unfounded, can you tell me why?
36
37 W
40 "The fronting for the eighty-yard long marble-topped bar
41 had been made by stitching together nearly twenty thousand
42 Antarean Mosaic Lizard skins, despite the fact that the
43 twenty thousand lizards concerned had needed them to keep
44 their insides in."
45
46 - The Book decribing Milliways' politically incorrect
47 decor.
48 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 1025 days, 21:10