From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cryptfs
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:25:02
1 Am Sonntag, 30. März 2008 schrieb Florian Philipp:
2
3 > On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 09:50 +0200, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
4 > > Am Samstag, 29. März 2008 schrieb Florian Philipp:
5 > > > My goal is to open a Luks-mapping for /var with a gpg-encrypted file
6 > > > on /boot and then open a mapping for /var/tmp with a plaintext file
7 > > > on /var.
8 > >
9 > > See below. But while we're at it, can anybody tell me what's the
10 > > advantage of a gpg-encrypted keyfile over a keyfile generated from
11 > > /dev/urandom?
12 >
13 > Keys for urandom work great for /tmp and swap but how should I use this
14 > for a partition which is supposed to keep its content between reboots?
15
16 See my example below.
17
18 > > Which warning, btw.? Works just fine here.
19 >
20 > "# Note when using gpg keys and /usr on a separate partition, you will
21 > # have to copy /usr/bin/gpg to /bin/gpg so that it will work properly
22 > # and ensure that gpg has been compiled statically.
23 > # See http://bugs.gentoo.org/90482 for more information."
24
25 Ah, I see. Since I don't use gpg it doesn't matter to me.
26
27 > > target='c-usr'
28 > > source='/dev/evms/usr'
29 > > key='/etc/crypt/keyfile'