From: Elias Diem <lists@×××××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Maybe bug? (glibc related?)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 08:25:15
1 Hi lee
2
3 On 2015-12-29, lee wrote:
4
5 > When you perform a strcpy() and overflow the destination buffer, you are
6 > supposed to experience a segmentation fault. It shouldn't matter
7 > whether you run a hardened profile or not for detecting these.
8
9 Ok. Thanks for the explanation.
10
11 > I imagine it was discovered that a segmentation fault did occur, and
12 > that it inevitably would occur --- since gcc tells you that one will
13 > occur when using __builtin___strcpy_chk() --- and the application was
14 > terminated. Otherwise, the test would have been unsuccessful.
15
16 Ok.
17
18 > Whether this is a bug or not depends on what you're supposed to expect,
19 > which I don't know. If someone would run the test suite on a
20 > non-hardened profile and got the same warning from gcc, but vim wouldn't
21 > be terminated when the segmentation fault occurs, then I'd be worried.
22
23 Ok. Well, I don't know either what to expect. I haven't got
24 enough knowledge to analyse this. I posted it here because I
25 was told so ;-)
28 Greetings
29 Elias