From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Recommend a good replacement for XFCE?
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 16:10:48
1 On 2016-09-25, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2016-09-23, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > [need to pick new desktop environment -- which could just be a window
5 > manager with a couple extra bits]
6 [...]
7 > Windowmaker seems a bit too oriented towards "icons on the desktop"
8 > which isn't how I want to work.
9 [....]
10 > LXDE looked good. [...] However, when I built lxde-meta and tried it
11 > on a 3-screen machine, it fell over pretty badly.
12 [...]
13 > I liked openbox though, so if LXDE refuses to handle multiple screens
14 > I may stick with openbox and try to find some other panel program
15 > that does work with multiple screens.
16
17 Openbox+tint2 looks promising. Tint2 is a lightweight panel app that
18 doesn't have the "only one instance allowed" restriction like lxpanel
19 has. You run a separate instance of tint2 per panel, and it doesn't
20 care how many instances you run or how many different screens or
21 XServers they're running on. For optimal attractiveness, you may have
22 to hand-tweak the tint2 colors and fonts to match the openbox theme,
23 but that's a small price to pay for something that actually works.
24
25 I still have to figure out one last tweak to openbox's behavior. When
26 you do ctrl-alt-right/left it switches virtual desktops on the screen
27 that has input focus, and I want it to switch on the screen where the
28 mouse pointer is. I know it's trivial, and all you have to do is
29 click before hitting ctrl-alt-right/left.
30
31 But I'm old; change is hard :)