From: yac <yac@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using git to track (gentoo) server configs ?
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 20:43:42
1 On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 17:01:47 +0100
2 "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
5 > I happily use git for local repositories to track configs in /etc or
6 > for example, /root/bin or /usr/local/bin (scripts ..)
7 >
8 > There is also etckeeper, yes, useful as well.
9 >
10 > But I would like to have some kind of meta-repo for all the
11 > gentoo-servers I am responsible for ... some remote repo to pull from.
12 >
13 > Most files in /etc might be rather identical so it would make sense to
14 > only track the individual changes (saves space and bandwidth)
15 >
16 > Maybe it would be possible to use git-branches for each server?
17 > Does anyone of you already use something like that?
18 > What would be a proper and clever way to do that?
19 >
20 > Yes, I know, there is puppet and stuff ... but as far as I see this is
21 > overkill for my needs.
22 >
23 > I'd like to maintain some good and basic /etc, maybe plus
24 > /var/lib/portage/world and /root/.alias (etc etc ..) to be able to
25 > deploy a good and nice standardized gentoo server. Then adjust config
26 > at the customer (network, fstab, ...) and commit this to a central
27 > repo (on my main server at my office or so).
28 >
29 > Yes, rsyncing that stuff also works in a way ... but ... versioning is
30 > better.
31 >
32 > How do you guys manage this?
33 >
34 > Looking forward to your good ideas ;-)
35 >
36 > Regards, Stefan
39 You are probably looking for cfengine or puppet
40
41 ---
42 Jan Matějka | Gentoo Developer
43 https://gentoo.org | Gentoo Linux
44 GPG: A33E F5BC A9F6 DAFD 2021 6FB6 3EBF D45B EEB6 CA8B