From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Where is CONFIG_MICROCODE gone in kernel 4.4.6-gentoo?
Date: Sun, 01 May 2016 07:43:22
1 On Saturday 30 Apr 2016 17:50:44 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On 30 April 2016 16:02:49 BST, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
3 > wrote:
4 > > On Saturday 30 Apr 2016 10:05:40 Jonathan Callen wrote:
5 > > > The proper way to load microcode into the kernel is now to have it
6 > > > be part of an initramfs (the initramfs doesn't (I think) have to
7 > > > actually do anything, just have the microcode firmware in the
8 > > > appropriate location). This is because some things in userspace (like
9 > > > glibc itself) only check once for certain CPU features at startup, and
10 > > > newer microcode will actually disable some of those features on some
11 > > > CPUs (because they are completely broken anyway). This means that
13 > > > that applications like /sbin/init won't crash just because a feature
14 > > > they thought they could use suddenly disappeared.
15 > >
16 > > Still, it would be better if all kernel versions behaved the same way
17 > > in this respect.
18 >
19 > Not if the newer way is better, which appears to be the case here.
20
21 My results show the behaviour alternating between versions, not simply
22 progressing from the old to the new. You'd be right of course in the latter
23 case.
26 Rgds
27 Peter