From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] {OT} SSD instead of RAID1?
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 10:46:07
1 I have two local systems that need to be reliable and also have a
2 large storage capacity. The thing is, the data storage doesn't need
3 to be reliable, I just need the systems to keep running. The data on
4 the systems is backed up and losing it wouldn't be the end of the
5 world because of the backups. However, I really need each of the
6 systems to keep running.
7
8 I've read that an SSD drive should be much more reliable than an HD
9 drive. What if I bought a low-price/low-capacity SSD drive for each
10 of these systems, installed the system essentials on them, and used my
11 existing high-capacity HD drives for data storage? Would each system
12 keep running if the HDs died? If so, I think that would offer as good
13 or better system reliability than RAID1. What do you think?
14
15 - Grant