From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about hacked sites and passwords
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 12:01:07
1 Am 17.01.2012 12:29, schrieb Dale:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 04:27:09 -0600, Dale wrote:
4 >>
5 >>>>> I use Lastpass which does about the same as other password
6 >>>>> managers.
7 >>>> Doesn't LastPass store your passwords on their servers, and weren't
8 >>>> they compromised last year? I'll stick with KeePassX, the password
9 >>>> database is stored and encrypted locally. Even if I put it on
10 >>>> DropBox, hacking that will only give the encrypted database.
11 >>>>
12 >>>>
13 >>> None of the passwords were lost tho.
14 >> This time.
15 >
16 > And maybe not the next time either, or the next time, or the next time.
17 > Point is, can you state for a fact that no site will ever be broke into,
18 > ever?
21 >>> They got everyone to change them
22 >>> just in case but according to what I read, the hackers didn't get
23 >>> anything.
24 >> This time.
25 >
26 > See above.
29 >>> Keep in mind, they are encrypted locally, then sent to
30 >>> them. They can't see the passwords either.
31 >> How is it encrypted? If the encryption system is not open source, it is
32 >> not trustworthy.
33 >
34 > The guy that owns it posted on this list a good while back. This was
35 > before the hack job. According to the things I have read, it has been
36 > improved even more than it was. I agree open source can be good but
37 > that doesn't mean closed can't be since we don't know what it does. If
38 > we don't know, neither does the hackers.
41 That last argument is flawed. What you describe is called security
42 through obscurity. That violates Kerckhoffs's principle, one of the
43 foundations of cryptography.
44
45 I agree that the crypto system doesn't necessarily need to be
46 open-source, depending on how much you trust the vendor. However, a good
47 percentage of all security breaks are inside-jobs. This is far harder to
48 pull off when the publish the source code or have some kind of
49 certification process.
50
51 Heck, even that might not protect you. See for example this thing:
52 http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/01/device-turns-any-laptop-storage-into-a-self-encrypted-drive.ars
53
54 It is NIST FIPS 140-2 level 1 certified. However, it used AES-ECB,
55 something that is known to be far too weak for full disk encryption. It
56 still got certified since it "works as expected."
57
58 In conclusion: There are lots of pitfalls and using "secret" crypto
59 systems makes it impossible to check for them, even if you know your stuff.
60
61 Regards,
62 Florian Philipp