From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] In search of a "good" windowmanager
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:41:00
1 Hi,
2
3 for a long time I used IceWM as my windowmanager since I dont
4 want to mimicry other OSses (...) or want session management.
5 One thing, which is a must-have of windowmanagers I want to use
6 is the possibility to control the windowmanager nearly completly
7 with the keyboard (hotkeys configurable) which does *not*
8 imply "uncontrollable by mouse" ;)
9 Furthermore I should not be a hana-bi or anything else eye-candy
10 like (nothing against hana-bi as hana-bi!) -- most of the time
11 I will use the windowmanager instead of only looking at it -- which
12 does not imply: "black anmd white ugly ascii thingy".
13
14 Since IceWM seems to be gone into hibernation phase I am looking for
15 a replacement which should
16 -- be widely configurable via ascii files
17 -- be as far as possible controllable by keyboard
18 -- be also useable with the mouse
19 -- no eye-candy
20 -- not ugly
21 -- NOT tiling
22 -- FAST!
23
24 I would like to hear from others what experiences they made with
25 what windowmanagers.
26
27 Thank you very much in advance for any help!
28 Best regards and have a nice weekend!
29 Meino Cramer
35 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
36 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
37 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
38 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.