From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] filesystems
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 05:51:48
1 On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 10:12 AM, Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Am Mittwoch, den 26.11.2008, 15:26 +0100 schrieb Florian Philipp:
3 >> > As for my photos, I can back all the collection to a single DVD (and
4 >> > to a second one, since I keep hearing that DVD-Rs are unreliable), and
5 >> > since I don't take new photos every week, this solution is fine.
6 >>
7 >> A second DVD-R won't solve the problem because optical disks degrade
8 >> over time and the second one will degrade just as fast as the first.
9 >> What you need to do is to check the disks periodically (once a year is a
10 >> good time frame).
11 >> I myself would add a textfile with md5sums for all files to the DVD so
12 >> you don't have to check them visually.
13 I have recently taken this decision too. Unfortunately I haven't done
14 so for some old backups (fortunately they still seem healthy)
15 > You can buy so called "archival grade" DVD-Rs that should work for 10-20
16 > years in a good environment. There are hugh differences between
17 > products. In germany you can buy very good ones from Verbatim for around
18 > 2€/disk.
19 This can be hard to find in my mid-sized Brazilian city. If I lived in
20 the mega-metropolis of São Paulo, this would be far easier. And thanks
21 very much for recommending Verbatim. I have heard of Taiyo Yuden, but
22 that would likely be far harder to find.
23
24 Speaking of md5sum/shasum, do you know some tool that adds data
25 redundancy? I heard dvddistaster does this, but I guess it is limited
26 to DVDs. It would be great fo find a general data redundancy tool. In
27 the moment, with the tools I know, the best I can do is store the
28 files twice, with md5sums/shasums to decide which version is correct.
29 By the way, it seems from my (limited) experience that even sha256sums
30 are IO-bound (even on my not-so-powerful Athlon XP 2600+), so it makes
31 sense to calculate sha256sums (as instead of md5sums) even it is
32 overkill. To be doubly sure, one can calculate sha256sums *and*
33 md5sums.