From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration - caveat
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 01:52:36
1 On 20/07/13 07:44, luis jure wrote:
4 > from my recent experience, a caveat if you're using GPT to partition your
5 > disk and intend to boot from it: grub won't install on the disk (at least
6 > if you have an old plain BIOS system, i understand this doesn't happen with
7 > UEFI ??? ).
8 >
9 > when i tried to run grub2-install i got this error message:
10 >
11 > "this GPT partition label contains no BIOS Boot Partition"
12 >
13 > so i had to re-partition the disk and create a small partition at the
14 > beginning without file system and with the bios_grub flag activated.
15 >
16 > after that grub installed OK, and i can boot from my GPT partitioned SSD.
17 >
18 > i don't know if this can be of use to somebody.
19 >
20 > best,
23 > lj
26 You have to map the drive so grub can find it:
27
28 olympus ~ # cat /boot/grub/device.map
29 (hd0) /dev/sda
30 olympus
31
32 Also, you can put the boot MBR on any disk - even an old spinner and
33 still have root on the ssd (as above, my ssd is actually /dev/sdd), but
34 the motherboard cant find any (non-usb) boot device unless I create a
35 device.map) - once grub is installed its fine and I think I could delete it.
36
37 BillK