From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: chrome and everything
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2011 21:17:33
1 On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 10:20:02PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 18:22 on Friday 03 June 2011, Indi did opine
3 > thusly:
4 >
5 > > > > Neither. Adobe is utterly incompetent and apathetic, google is evil
6 > > > > and wants to sell ad space for h3rb41 v14gr4 in your brain.
7 > > > >
8 > > > >
9 > > > >
10 > > > > Flash is a necessary evil for a lot of us, chrome(ium) is not.
11 > > >
12 > > >
13 > > >
14 > > > I think of it more a case of there being no viable alternative to
15 > > > Flash[1] whereas Chrom{e,ium} is just one more browser amongst many.
16 > > >
17 > > >
18 > > >
19 > > > I use Flash myself even though I hate the way it performs.
20 > > >
21 > > >
22 > > >
23 > > > [1] There are flash alternatives, but by and large only support out of
24 > > > date features, so they are not really "viable".
25 > > >
26 > > >
27 > >
28 > > Agreed. I do wish we'd get something open and reasonably well coded to
29 > > replace flash, but I think perhaps the biggest reason for the success of
30 > > flash is its sneakiness in tracking users and ability to enforce DRM. Big
31 > > Business just loves that sort of thing.
32 >
33 > Compare skype. Someone just reverse-engineered critical bits of v1.4, I'll bet
34 > money that Skype's (now MS) response will be to tweak the app so that any
35 > open-source implementation gets no response from Skype infrastructure when
36 > used. Same possibility of sneaky shit going on under the surface.
39 Just about everythng Microsoft touches goes bad.
40 R.I.P Skype.
43 caveat utilitor