From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to diagnose version conflicts?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 14:53:21
1 On 2022-01-12, Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 12 Jan 2022 at 01:44, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Still not sure what command one uses to determine what package is
4 >> preventing some other package from being upgraded...
5 >
6 > It should all be in the emerge output, although it's quite hard to read.
7 >
8 > If you want help interpreting it you could post the complete conflict
9 > output, but what you've posted in your initial message is just the bit
10 > that says that python-exec-2.4.8 requires python-exec-conf-2.4.6.
11 > That's not a conflict, that's just one of the packages having one
12 > dependency. To have a conflict, a different package would need to
13 > require a different version.
14
15 Right. And how to determine which package requires the older version
16 is the question. Since I can't reinstall ipkg-utils, I don't have any
17 way to recreate the conflict.
18
19 > Most of the times this particular kind of conflict is with an older
20 > package that requires older PYTHON_TARGETS than can be provided, and I
21 > expect something that got depcleaned with ipkg-utils, or ipkg-utils
22 > directly, required python-exec or python-exec-conf with
23 > PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_7". Note that dev-lang/python itself is not
24 > the source of any of these problems, I still have python 2.7 and 3.10
25 > installed (along with 3.9 which is the default version on this machine
26 > now).
27
28 Then it must have been ipkg-utils itself that required the older
29 python_exec, but there was no ebuild present for it. I know that
30 ipkg-utils was not mentioned at all in the emerge output.
31
32 After unmerging ipkg-utils and python2.7 the conflict was gone.
33
34 Next time I'll keep a copy of the entire emerge output.
37 Grant