From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnome 3.6 ... and related thoughts
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 23:47:21
1 On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 >
3 > greets ...
4 >
5 > today (at least in my timezone ;-) ) I saw gnome-3.6-related ebuilds
6 > coming up on my ~amd64 box ...
7 >
8 > I ran a backup (yes, experience ...) and emerged stuff ... so far it
9 > runs OK.
10 >
11 > There are changes and new features and I am still exploring stuff.
12 >
13 > The general question: is it a bug or a feature? ;-)
14 >
15 > for example Alt-leftclick doesn't allow me to move windows right now.
16 >
17 > bug?
18
19 No, it works that way. You could changed in previous versions with the
20 /apps/metacity/general/mouse_button_modifier key in gconftool-2, but
21 now it's gone. I don't know if anyone is working on bring it back.
22
23 > What I'd like to discuss:
24 >
25 > how to start over for a given user? For example, I want to get rid of
26 > old stuff from gnome-1.x/2.x or so (I think of my ~-directory, not the
27 > overall system). Or even bigger, does it make sense to drop stuff from
28 > all those dot-directories in ~ from time to time (e.g. at bigger
29 > GUI-upgrades) and only keep some important ones?
30 >
31 > For example I would keep core stuff like .gnupg .ssh .bashrc
32 > .thunderbird (in my case) ... but I am sure there is loads of stuff to
33 > get rid of.
34 >
35 > Maybe most of it doesn't make a difference (hdd-space is cheap anyways)
36 > and isn't even read anymore by recent versions of software. But maybe
37 > some files/dirs should get dumped and forgotten.
38 >
39 > Do you gentoo-users have any opinions on this?
40 >
41 > Does it make any sense to re-create my main user(-dir)?
42
43 I started over with a clean $HOME, and I moved back the non-GNOME
44 stuff (.ssh, .gnupg, .bash*, etc). But maybe it was overkill.
45
46 Regards.
47 --
48 Canek Peláez Valdés