From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] udev / sound
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:36:04
1 Hi folks,
2
3 I did an update world last night with a --sync that was a couple of days old
4 because it took me several nights to get all the stuff (deltup didn't have
5 most of the diffs, so I had to download the whole tarballs).
6
7 After emerging, compiling, installing all of it, I did an etc-update. Among
8 other things, I merged the new udev rules and rebooted to get them into
9 effect.
10
11 Sound is gone. Artsd complains that there is no /dev/dsp - and rightly so. All
12 sound-related devices under /dev are gone. There are a couple of devices
13 under /dev/snd:
14
15 uwe@uwix /dev/snd $ ls -l
16 total 0
17 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 0 Feb 11 21:14 controlC0
18 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 24 Feb 11 21:14 pcmC0D0c
19 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 16 Feb 11 21:14 pcmC0D0p
20 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 25 Feb 11 21:14 pcmC0D1c
21 crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 Feb 11 21:14 timer
22
23 lsmod reveals that the relevant modules are loaded:
24
25 mii 5888 1 sis900
26 snd_intel8x0 32224 0
27 snd_ac97_codec 84092 1 snd_intel8x0
28 snd_ac97_bus 3200 1 snd_ac97_codec
29 snd_pcm 83588 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec
30 snd_timer 24836 1 snd_pcm
31 snd 52196 4 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer
32 snd_page_alloc 11144 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
33
34 If I recollect correctly that's about what I had before.
35
36 Now, what did I wrong? ... and equally important: What do I do to get my noise
37 back? ;-)
38
39 Uwe
42 Why do consumers keep buying products they will live to curse?
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list