From: "Covington
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] having a real mta + virtual one (ie postfix & nbsmtp)
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 14:34:07
1 On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 06:10:48PM +1300, Nick Rout wrote:
2 > What exactly are you trying to acheive?
3
4 I want to run mutt without it using my installed postfix, but another
5 dedicated, external SMTP server instead. I use postfix on the box to
6 test things out (like dspam, RBLs, various policy servers &
7 content-filters) and I don't want to have to adjust postfix parameters
8 or rely on it to be running just to be able to send email with mutt.
9
10 Another scenario (that doesn't apply to me but could apply to others)
11 would be that I want to use my ISP's mail server for my email reading
12 program, and I also want to be able to use postfix for internal LAN use.
13 I wouldn't want to run 2 postfix instances or configure postfix to use
14 my ISP as its relayhost which would interfere with other
15 functionality as well as be overly complicated.
16
17 ---
18 Chris Covington
19 IT