From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Synchronous writes over the network.
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 18:52:29
1 I wonder if someone can help me get educated about synchronous writes
2 to a file server over the network? Is this something that's designed
3 into specific apps or is this something that I have control of at the
4 sys admin level?
5
6 I've recently built 2 TrueNAS file servers. The first (and main) unit
7 runs all the time and serves to backup my home user machines.
8 Generally speaking I (currently) put data onto it using rsync but it
9 also has an NFS mount that serves as a location for my Raspberry Pi to
10 store duplicate copies of astrophotography pictures live as they come
11 off the DSLR in the middle of the night.
12
13 The second TrueNAS machine serves to back up this first machine but
14 resides at the other end of the house to protect data in case of fire.
15 Eventually I'll probably backup all of this offsite but for now it's
16 two old computers and a bunch of disks.
17
18 The question about synchronous writes comes in the configuration of
19 TrueNAS. TrueNAS supports what it calls a ZIL (ZFS Intent Log) which
20 is a smaller SSD at the front end of the write data flow. The idea (as
21 I understand it) is that the ZIL allows writes to the server to be
22 cached quickly onto, in my case, an SSD, and then eventually written
23 to spinning drives when the system gets around to it. Once new data
24 arrives at the ZIL it remains until it's written and verified at which
25 time the entries in the ZIL are removed. The ZIL does not do anything
26 to speed up reads from the file server.
27
28 The thing is that the ZIL is only used for synchronous writes and I
29 don't know whether anything I'm doing to back up my user machines,
30 which currently is just rsync commands, is synchronous or could be
31 made synchronous, and I do not know if the NFS writes from the R_Pi
32 are synchronous or could be made so.
33
34 If someone can point me in the right direction in terms of reading and
35 study I'd appreciate it.
36
37 Thanks,
38 Mark