From: Steven Lembark <lembark@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Garbage in /tmp or /var/tmp
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 03:44:36
1 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > On Sonntag, 13. April 2008, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 18:38:31 +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
4 >>> Due to disk space restrictions I've decided to make /tmp a symlink
5 >>> to /var/tmp instead of reserving space for both.
6 >> Why not use tmpfs for /tmp? It usually requires very little space, and
7 >> will use swap if memory is tight.
8 >
9 > I second that, tmpfs for /tmp is great:
10 >
11 > tmpfs 512M 12K 512M 1% /tmp
12
13 Catch: You loose it all on reboot.
14
15 Since things like vi keep their in-work backups
16 there, loosing the entire contents of /tmp after a
17 crash can be painful.
18
19 If you can redirect anything making in-work copies
20 to, say, /scratch or ~ then this works nicely (given
21 that you have enough core not to strangle on it).
25 Steven Lembark 85-09 90th St.
26 Workhorse Computing Woodhaven, NY, 11421
27 lembark@×××××××.com +1 888 359 3508
28 --
29 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list