From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chown - not permited
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2014 19:39:11
1 On 10/06/2014 21:33, Joseph wrote:
2 > On 06/10/14 22:50, the wrote:
3 >> On 06/10/14 22:37, Joseph wrote:
4 >>> I mount USB stick form camera and I can not change ownership (I'm
5 >>> login as root)
6 >>>
7 >>> drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 32768 Nov 18 2013 DCIM -rwxr-xr-x 1 root
8 >>> root 4 Nov 21 2013 _disk_id.pod drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 32768
9 >>> Aug 14 2013 LOST.DIR
10 >>>
11 >>> I can read and write another USB stick but others I can not. How
12 >>> to control it?
13 >>>
14 >> What filesystem does it contain and what mount options are you using?
15 >> Depending on the filesystem it can be possible to mount with
16 >> user/group permissions.
17 >
18 > One USB stick was ext2 the other was dos file system. I have problem
19 > with dos.
20 > I have commentd out in fstab:
21 > /dev/sdb1 /media/stick auto noauto,rw,user 0 0
22 >
23 > and let udisks mange it. It works.
24 > Except that now I have ugly long names, for ext2 I get:
25 > /run/media/joseph/2f5fc53e-4f4c-4e74-b9c4-fca316b47fea
26 >
27 > for dos I get:
28 > /run/media/joseph/3136-3934
29 >
30 > with fstab entry they all were mounted under: /media/stick
34 Those long names are filesystem id's and volume labels. You didn't tell
35 udisks what to call the mount point so it has picked the only thing it
36 has available - the ID of the filesystem.
37
38 fstab is a really bad tool for this, it does not apply the rules to your
39 USB sticks, it applies them to anything that just happens to get node
40 /dev/sdb1. Don't assume that will *always* be a portable usb stick,
41 because it won't.
42
43 Read the udisks documentation to find out how to customize naming of
44 mount points.
51 Alan McKinnon
52 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com