From: "Peter Böhm" <peter.bo@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to disable the modules service?
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2022 15:05:13
1 Rainer,
2
3 the handbook still recommends to build sound modules (and many many others) as
4 module, because it is easier than doing a static configuration. Now, you can
5 ask, why someone wants to build it static into the kernel. The answer is:
6 Security !
7
8 Maybe you know this wiki article:
9 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Signed_kernel_module_support
10
11 This is a pre-condition for enabling LOCKDOWN in the kernel ... OR ... you
12 have NO modules support (=monolithic kernel) ! So, you have the choice which
13 way you want to go.
14
15 I am using a monolithic kernel also. Dont try to enable lockdown in your
16 kernel if you use unsigned modules. ;-) I wrote a big warning in my wiki
17 article:
18 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Tutorials/
19 Kernel_Hardening_with_KSPP
20