From: Carlos Hendson <skyclan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: SAR vs collectl
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:46:38
1 On Fri, 2012-08-31 at 14:50 +0000, James wrote:
2 > my bad......
3
4 No, not your bad. I was in the same boat as you when I wanted to
5 install sar. I found the gentoo package name on the web.
6
7 Sorry if my previous post suggested the executed commands would have
8 found the package name for sar on a system which didn't already have it
9 installed.
10
11 > Got any syntax that would allow me to know that "sar" was
12 > in sysstat?
13 > equery belongs /usr/bin/sar returns a blank line for me....
14
15 As you discovered "equery belongs <file name>" only returns results for
16 installed packages which own "filename".
17
18 I'm not aware of any tool that will tell you what files a package will
19 create/own before it's built and installed on the system.
20
21 It would be nice if there was some sort of online database that could be
22 queried for such information. Something like how the equery tool
23 functions but online instead of locally.
24
25 Regards,
26 Carlos