From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] clone root from HDD to SSD causes no video with NVIDIA driver
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2020 16:07:21
1 On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 16:02:35 +0000, Raffaele BELARDI wrote:
2
3 > I am trying to switch an existing and fully working HDD, MBR-based
4 > ~amd64 LXDE/Kodi setup to a 500Gb SSD. I also took the opportunity to
5 > dual boot Gentoo with Win10 on the same SSD. As suggested by the Wiki
6 > [1] I first installed Win letting it GPT-partition the SSD and leaving
7 > some empty space for a Gentoo ext4 root partition. Then I copied the
8 > Gentoo root from the HDD to the SSD ('cp -a' except /dev, /sys and
9 > /proc which I recreated empty on the SSD), UEFI-booted a SysRescue USB
10 > and installed GRUB2 to the Windows-created ESP. Now, while the
11 > chain-loaded Windows boots happily, I'm not able to get any GUI or
12 > terminal interface for SSD-booted Linux. The old, HDD-based
13 > installation is still available and running fine.
14
15 You're missing device nodes in /dev that are needed before udev populates
16 it. Simply excluding the virtual filesystems as you have results in
17 these files not being copied as they are hidden behind the virtual
18 /dev/ mounted from used. The way I clone a root device is
19
20 mkdir -p /mnt/root
21 mount --bind / /mnt/root
22 rsync -a /mnt/root/ /mnt/new/device/
23
24 That preserves files that are otherwise hidden by mounted filesystems.
28 Neil Bothwick
29
30 Things are more like they are today than they ever have been before.