From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB drive dead? (Commands to check?)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 21:38:33
1 On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 1:21 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 11:41:09 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >> Turns out none of the backup or Myth files were savable in any
5 >> practical manner of speaking. Myth could play them, or at least start
6 >> playing them - I don't know if it could get to the end of any of them,
7 >> but if I tried to copy them off to another drive the machine just
8 >> started hanging with lots of dmesg drive errors. None of the previous
9 >> windows backups were savable. I've taken new windows backups starting
10 >> last night.
11 >
12 > Did you try photorec as previously suggested? When a drive starts
13 > behaving like this, retrieving the data should be the first thing you
14 > try. Repairing the filesystem should be the last because you run the risk
15 > of causing further damage. Photorec can retrieve files that are
16 > inaccessible through the filesystem.
19 > --
20 > Neil Bothwick
21
22 I haven't tried it yet. I don't like installing extra softwrae on the
23 Myth backend so I disconnected the drive, used this old 1394 drive as
24 a replacement and now have the old drive back here in my office. I
25 figure I'll install Photorec et all next weekend on my AMD64 box and
26 see what it can find.
27
28 Cheers,
29 Mark