From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why are *.so library files executable?
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 16:05:16
1 On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 17:43 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > Gentoo users tend to be technically adept, so I'll ask the question here:
3 >
4 > Why are *.so files set as executables? I noticed that they keep working
5 > if I do a "chmod a-x" on them.
6
7 Well, they are "executables" in that they are object code that are
8 (loaded and) executed.
9
10 In the olden days (pre libc6?) believe it was required form them to be
11 both executable and by whoever wanted to run (load) them. It's probably
12 still a requirement for other *nix systems.