From: Paul Stear <gentoo@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What to do when you can't loggin
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:54:41
1 Hi,
2 I am running an ~x86 system and yesterday I did an emerge world, all went well
3 until the next time I booted. kdm ran but the screen just had a flashing
4 loggin box. I could not even get another terminal using alt F1-F7. So I am
5 faced with not being able to loggin at all. This raises a few questions
6 about my own inadequacies :-
7 1. What is the correct procedure to recover a system in this state? What
8 tools do I need?
9 2. I have an rsynced backup on an external usb harddrive, but unless I can
10 loggin how can I restore the files from the backup?
11 3. It appears that a freetype update was the cause of this failure, but this
12 information was hard to find on the forum's (I was lucky). I had an old
13 installation cd and chroot'ed and emerged the previous version of freetype,
14 rebooted and all is well (I hope).
15 4. How can an update like this get into ~x86 tree when it plainly causes a
16 major problem? I wonder if I should revert to just x86.
17
18 Paul
19 --
20 This message has been sent using kmail with gentoo linux
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list