From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rsync + tar + bz2 ?
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 20:14:03
1 Am Samstag, 7. März 2009 17:04:17 schrieb Grant:
2 > I'm backing up numerous large files on another machine on my local
3 > network. I've only been using rsync, but it occured to me that I
4 > might be able to save some time and space if I incorporate tar and
5 > bzip2. How will rsync interact with those? If I turn the whole
6 > backup into a big tar.bz2, would rsync need to redownload the whole
7 > thing if I change one file? If so, maybe I should turn different
8 > groups of files into tar.bz2 archives so rsync only needs to
9 > redownload an archive if one of its files has changed?
10
11 By using either rsh or ssh, tar can backup over the net, too.
12
13 Bye...
14
15 Dirk