From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is my postfix being used as a relay?
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:50:20
1 On 3/16/06, Gerhard Hoogterp <gerhard@×××××××××××××.nl> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Thursday 16 March 2006 20:12, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
4 > > I get a lot of bounce messages from Postfix relating to emails
5 > > that are not actually from me, and the mail q shows lots of
6 > > stuff I don't recognize.
7 > >
8 > > I'd like to know how to interpret this, and if it is called-for,
9 > > to secure this daemon a bit more. Can somebody point
10 > > me in the right direction? I'll RTFM if it's not *too* big,
11 > > if I know the appropriate FM to R.
14 > You can check if your machine is an open relay by using telnet to
15 > relay-test.mail-abuse.org from the machine which runs the mail.
16 >
17 > An other alternative is to use their webinterface
18 > (http://www.abuse.net/relay.html) but I have no experience with that one.
21 Thanks for the links. To my relief, they both reported all relay attempts
22 were blocked. So the bounces were spammers spoofing my address
23 as a return, I suppose. And there's nothing I can do to stop that.
24
25 Sigh.
26
27 ++ kevin