From: Alon Bar-Lev <alonbl@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 20:48:17
1 On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 10:35 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 15:25:07 -0500, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >
5 > > > The current Gentoo policy is that maintainers cannot block other devs
6 > > > from adding support for systemd/openrc/etc to their packages if they
7 > > > lack such support. Gentoo policy does NOT require maintainers to
8 > > > support any particular init system.
9 > > >
10 > > > If you feel otherwise, I suggest you cite the policy.
11 > >
12 > > Interesting... packages don't have to support the default init system...
13 > >
14 > > Can anyone say 'can of worms'?
15 >
16 > Well, if it goes the way Rich suggests, there won't be a default init
17 > system so this won't be an issue.
18 >
19 > Gentoo is about choice, defaults are there for when you can't be bothered
20 > to make the choice yourself, which makes defaults largely irrelevant in
21 > the Gentoo way of doing things.
22 >
23 > And if the default init system does become virtual/init, will you care or
24 > even notice? It was only when installing a new system recently that I saw
25 > that the default for virtual/cron was no longer vixie-cron, yet none of
26 > my systems using vixie stopped working...
27 >
28 > The choice will always be there as long as at least one person cares
29 > enough to ensure the choice is there.
30
31 Choice can be for components that are optional or drop-in-replacements.
32 It like you have expected that alternate gcc or libc will be a
33 *STABLE* choice, while developers a not using these "choices".
34 Systemd is not drop-in-replacement for init.d, and if developers
35 (except gnome) are not using it, then this choice is stable for gnome
36 users but no more than that, thus marking it as stable in the global
37 profile was at least "strange", also not having USE flag for openrc
38 and systemd was at least "strange", pushing users files and components
39 they do not use nor require.
40
41 As written before, Gentoo seems the only refuge from the systemd
42 ecosystem take over, once it is taken, it will be good time to move to
43 FreeBSD. People should had have -systemd USE to make sure they are not
44 using this ecosystem, this is one of the loses we had.
45
46 Alon