From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] which machine to buy for perfect gentoo machine?!
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:50:41
1 On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 07:03:26AM +0200, Tamer Higazi wrote:
2 > Hi people!
3 > My old core2duo machine says slowly goodbye and I am at this lever after
4 > 7 years for buying myself a new developer machine, that should serve me
5 > well for a long time again. With intel I never had problems, all their
6 > systems were REALLY stable, and they were really worth their money up to
7 > the last cent.
8
9 Same situation here -- Core2 Duo T7200 (2 GHz max, but throttled due to
10 worn-down heatpipe). I'll be buying a new system, too, soon.
11
12 As to the other issues of the thread:
13 all intel Cores have VT-x (including Core2, by the way), which is basic
14 virtualisation support. What only a select few have is VT-d, which is I/O
15 virtualisation. As for the confusion about model range and hyperthreading,
16 Wikipedia has a very nice comparison chart of all available models:
17 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)#Desktop_processors
18
19 Basically:
20 i3 = dual-core with HT (2 physical/4 logical cores), no turbo mode
21 i5 = quad-core without HT (4/4, except one low-TDP model, which is 2/4)
22 i7 = quad-core with HT (4/8)
23
24 I don't know the technical details very well, but because my Netbook has a
25 single-core CPU with HT, I read up on it a bit. As I understand it, HT allows
26 two threads to use the same core simultaneously, if they don't use the same
27 instruction circuitry. Hence a hyper-threaded single-core is not as fast as
28 a proper dual-core, because sometimes one thread still has to wait.
29
30 > There are 3 choices:
31 >
32 > Intel Xeon E5-2650
33 > Core i7 3979 extreme edition
34 > AMD FX.8350 CPU
35
36 Everything Intel with Extreme in the name is, in my opinion, overpriced for
37 its bang. If you really need as much bang as possible and afford it (like when
38 you earn your money with that bang), then why not.
39 But if you say your Core2 served you well, then you could go a more pragmatic
40 approach of "3 times more power than before is enough for me" and save a few
41 100 bucks, or maybe invest in a bigger SSD instead.
44 I'm currently holding out on my Core2 though, because Haswell is on the
45 doorstep, and I first wanna see what the market has to offer. The CPU part
46 might not gain much in performance, but the graphics part got a big boost and
47 all models support VT-d now (according to cpu-world.com). Plus theoretically
48 I'm a bit more future-proof due to the new socket (which is probably the most
49 annoying thing about the Intel world, compared to AMD).
50 --
51 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
52 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
53
54 Nowadays you must motivate your people, yelling alone doesn’t help anymore.